In these uncertain times the world needs socially conscious leaders like you now more than ever. Below are some practical tips to get you started:
- Practice Global Citizenship: Educate yourself about COVID-19 and how to stay healthy. Follow guidelines issued by your local authorities and spread the world on social media about the World Health Organization’s COVID-19 health advice.
- Foodbanks: Food banks are a critical source of stability for any community facing a crisis — whether it’s a tropical storm, economic recession, or pandemic. As the pandemic worsens, food banks around the world will face increased demand and fewer volunteers. You can donate to local food banks in your area to help families in need and, if you’re fully able to, you can volunteer at them to help sort and deliver supplies.
- Engage with others: Social distancing is necessary to curb the pandemic. It’s also going to be isolating and emotionally draining for people worldwide who will be cut off from regular companionship. You can help ease people’s isolation by checking in on friends and family members, and joining online communities to provide companionship to people who are alone. Remember the elderly and vulnerable are less likely to have access to smart phones or the internet so consider letter writing, bake cakes or do a letterbox drop to let people know you are thinking of them, create positive and hopeful messages or art in your community to inspire hope and remind people they are not forgotten.
- Delivering Goods and Medicine: People who have COVID-19 or who are highly vulnerable to complications from it are advised to stay away from crowded areas. That presents an obvious dilemma: how are they going to get food and medical supplies? You can help by delivering supplies to elderly or vulnerable people in your life, or by supporting groups that are providing this service — look online and on social media to find out about groups in your community.
- Donate: The World Health Organisation have launched the COVID -19 Solidarity Response Fund [INSERT LINK: https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/donate] to support WHO and their partners in a massive effort to help countries prevent, detect, and manage the novel coronavirus – particularly those where the needs are the greatest.
- Share your ideas: Global Social Leaders is a movement to which thousands of young people worldwide belong, share your innovative ideas and any actions by blogging or posting on social media using the hashtag #globalgoals