We are delighted to share a blog written by the members of Ramkarthik project, students at DRS International School who are part of a team delivering a Global Goals project for the 2018-19 Global Goals Competition.
Their project is among over 620 social action projects currently running as part of the GSL movement and we are excited to be supporting them to design and lead positive social change in their community.
Basic needs and simple life leads to happiness that saves humanity from greed.
We are alarmed by the hazards of waste dumping outside the school campus and guided by the culture of ‘recycle, reduce, reuse & refuse’ concepts. We were desiring to install a sustainable system that converts biomass into useful source of soil- nutrients which otherwise would be sent for landfill or be burnt. We are seeking to collaborate with school management, community & other organizations.
The project aims to achieve proper waste management at the school. Other aims are:
• To place a procedure in place that takes care of waste management,
• To Segregate waste at source for recycle, reduce, reuse & refuse’
• To maintain a compost pit,
• To call upon all stake holders to be concerned with the environment,
• To enthuse school community to take to vermi-composting, segregating waste and reduce the extra consumption,
• To educate community to reduce food waste,
• To divert the kitchen waste and garden residues into compost,
• To use the compost rich in nutrients for enrichment of the soil,
• To help in reducing the carbon footprints of our school,
Our team consist of enthusiastic field workers who are active and ready for service. They are good communicators who can inspire and bring awareness, advertisement and sale tactics. Our team is good in keeping records and accounts of the project.
We need to know about the advance methods of waste management. We need to know the application of compost into soil. We need to have funds for purchase of the equipment and structures.
We will collaborate with some of the organizations who are expert in this line and get their expert views on the project.
Call to action
The earth needs you not, You need the earth . Let’s join hands and save our home the planet earth from heaps of rubbish. If we don’t cleanup our mess we will be replaced by mess. let us reduce, refuse, recycle and reuse and have sustainable consumption and production.
Follow us on Facebook:
The 2018-19 GSL Global Goals Competition is now open and runs until June 2019. If you belong to one of the 700+ teams of students currently delivering a social action project as part of the competition we would love to hear from you and feature your blog and project photos on our website to inspire others.